Internet 2010 in Numbers [Summary] - ProPakistani
Internet without any doubt has become an important part of our daily life routine. Every segment of a society especially professionals, students, kids and even senior citizens browse around this amazing sphere of ‘networks of networks’ as per their interest of usage.
From sending a simple text e-mail to viewing streaming movie video, Internet is there behind the scene.
Pingdom, an Internet research company has carried out an interesting exercise to identify what happened over the world of Internet during 2010. The numbers calculated by them show some appealing and astonishing information such as average number of e-mails sent per day during 2010 were 294 billion, 25 billion tweets sent on Twitter in 2010, 2 billion videos were watched per day over YouTube and 250 million new people joined Face book during 2010.
Following is the detail statistics provided by Royal Pingdom on various segments of Internet.
- 107 trillion – The number of emails sent on the Internet in 2010.
- 294 billion – Average number of email messages per day.
- 480 million – New email users since the year before.
- 89.1% – The share of emails that were spam.
- 262 billion – The number of spam emails per day (assuming 89% are spam).
- 2.9 billion – The number of email accounts worldwide.
- 255 million – The number of websites as of December 2010.
- 21.4 million – Added websites in 2010.
- 39.1% – Growth in the number of Apache websites in 2010.
- 15.3% – Growth in the number of IIS websites in 2010.
- 4.1% – Growth in the number of nginx websites in 2010.
- 5.8% – Growth in the number of Google GWS websites in 2010.
- 55.7% – Growth in the number of Lighttpd websites in 2010.
- 88.8 million – .COM domain names at the end of 2010.
- 13.2 million – .NET domain names at the end of 2010.
- 8.6 million – .ORG domain names at the end of 2010.
- 79.2 million – The number of country code top-level domains (e.g. .CN, .UK, .DE, etc.).
- 7% – The increase in domain names since the year before.
- 14% – Increase in Internet users since the previous year.
- 825.1 million – Internet users in Asia.
- 475.1 million – Internet users in Europe.
- 266.2 million – Internet users in North America.
- 204.7 million – Internet users in Latin America / Caribbean.
- 110.9 million – Internet users in Africa.
- 63.2 million – Internet users in the Middle East.
- 21.3 million – Internet users in Oceania / Australia.
- 25 billion – Number of sent tweets on Twitter in 2010
- 100 million – New accounts added on Twitter in 2010
- 7.7 million – People following @ladygaga (Lady Gaga, Twitter’s most followed user).
- 250 million – New people on Facebook in 2010.
- 30 billion – Pieces of content (links, notes, photos, etc.) shared on Facebook per month.
- 20 million – The number of Facebook apps installed each day.
- 2 billion – The number of videos watched per day on YouTube.
- 35 – Hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- 2+ billion – The number of videos watched per month on Facebook.
- 20 million – Videos uploaded to Facebook per month.
- 3000+ – Photos uploaded per minute to Flickr.
- 130 million – At the above rate, the number of photos uploaded per month to Flickr.
- 3+ billion – Photos uploaded per month to Facebook.
Focus Made an infographic of the same information in following manner:
- Internet Giants: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo!
- List of Blocked Websites in Pakistan [Blashphemy Crackdown]
- Govt Opens Youtube, Facebook To Remain Down till May 31st [Updated]
- CJ Orders PTA to Block Anti-Islamic Videos on YouTube
- The Power of Sharing in Social Media!
- India Wins Urdu Language Domain Name Extension
- Pakistani Users’ Behavior on Social Networking Websites Revealed