Mobile Services Likely to Remain Suspended During Eid: Rehman Malik
Minister Interior, Mr. Rehman Malik has hinted that cellular operators in Pakistan might be asked to suspend cellular services in major cities of the country during Eid-ul-Adha for security reasons.
Earlier, on directions of interior ministry, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority had issued directive to cellular companies to keep shutdown cellular services during Eid-ul-Fitar and Ishq-e-Rasool Day for similar reasons.
Cellular industry had protested these cellular shutdowns and had asked the government for compensation (valuing Rs. 1 billion), which was never entertained.
It maybe recalled that cellular usage and spending on communication service during Eid days remain 18-20 times higher than the usual days.
Analyst opine that suspension of cellular services is one of its kind practice in Pakistan, example of which is hard to find in the whole world, even in war stricken regions of Iraq or Afghanistan. They said that government’s this attitude will hurt investors’ trust and will surely impact upcoming 3G auction.
- Telcos Lost Rs. 600 Million Yesterday, But That’s Not the Only Thing to Worry About
- Cellular Services in Karachi, Quetta and Part of Islamabad to Remain Suspended Today
- Youm-e-Ali: Cellular Services to Remain Suspended in Various Cities
- Cellular Services Are Likely to Remain Suspended in Pakistan on May 11th
- Mobile Phone Service Likely to Remain Suspended Tomorrow
- Telcos Demand for Damages Against Service Suspension Orders
- Breaking: Mobile Services to Remain Blocked in 15 Cities Today