Samsung has just unveiled the widely rumoured Galaxy Xcover 2 — only one month before Mobile World Congress 2013 trade fair.
Samsung has improved all the specs of its predecessor (Xcover S5690), from a bigger screen to a more powerful processor.
Weighing 149 grams, The Galaxy Xcover 2 boasts a 4” WVGA TFT screen measuring 130.5 x 67.7 x 12 mm that is quite bigger than its predecessor. Following the Xcover S5690, the new Galaxy Xcover 2 is a rugged Smartphone that is shock and dustproof, in addition to being IP67 certified; consequently, it’s waterproof and can function in up to three feet of water while being able to stay there for half an hour due to a battery cover lock that provides additional protection against dropping.
A dedicated camera key, meanwhile, has made it possible for underwater photography.
On hardware front, it has dual-core 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM and 4 GB of built-in memory along with a micro SD card which can be expanded up to 32 GB. It runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with Samsung’s TouchWiz customizations and Samsung Hub, including the latest apps and services such as Readers Hub, Video hub, Game Hub and Music Hub.
In this new device, Samsung has given 5MP main camera with LED flash which can shoot 720p video and there’s a dedicated shutter key including a front-facing VGA camera.
Connectivity options for this includes 3G with 14.4Mbps HSDPA and 5.76Mbps HSUPA, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS + GLONASS along with 1700 mAh battery capacity which offers a stand-by time of up to 570 hours.
Here are technical specifications for this device:
- Operating system: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Processor: 1 GHz dual-core processor
- Display: 100.8mm 4.0 inch WVGA(480 x 800) TFT
- Dimension: 130.5 x 67.7 x 12 mm, 148.5 g
- Memory: 4GB User memory and 1GB (RAM) microSD (up to 32GB)
- Network: HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/2100 and EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
- Video: H.264, MPEG‐4, H.263, VC‐1, Divx/Xvid, Sorenson Spark, WMV7, WMV8 and Recording/ Playback of 720p
- Audio: MP3, Music Player with SoundAlive and 3.5mm Ear Jack
- Camera: 5-megapixel auto focus camera with LED flash with VGA camera along with Direct camera key
- Ruggedized Features: IP67 Certified, Battery cover lock and Strap holder.
- GPS: A-GPS, Glonass
- Connectivity: Bluetooth v 4.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity
- Battery: Standard battery, Li-ion 1,700mAh
- Miscellaneous:: Samsung Apps , Samsung Kies /Samsung Kies Air, Samsung TouchWiz, Samsung ChatOn mobile communication service Samsung Hub , Game Hub ,Readers Hub / Music Hub / Video Hub, Samsung AllShare Play, Motion UI, Smart Stay, Best Shot, S Voice, S Cloud, Cardio Trainer Pro.
Pricing and availability for this device is not unveiled yet, and it is likely that Samsung will reveal more information during MWC late next month. The estimated price for this new device is said to be about 35,000 to 40,000 PKR.