Samsung’s reputation may have been permanently charred by the way the Note 7 launch played out but it was not the only thing to have turned out that way. Following an S7 Edge exploding in a man’s pocket in New Jersey earlier this month, there’s another similar case, this time in the Philippines.
Mr. Weng reported that the phone heated up and started smoking while his daughter was using it. Samsung Philippines offered Mr. Weng a full refund in return of the damaged property.
And if there’s one thing in certain, it is the way the company handled the situation as evident in the testimony posted by the user:
“We went to Samsung store at SM City Taytay and they have refunded my money in full. Kudos to all the staff of Samsung SM Taytay for their immediate action regarding my issue. In spite of the unfortunate incident, I am however, impressed by their aftersales-support. Much respect to Samsung. Keep safe everyone.”-Weng Briones
He also posted the pictures of the burnt S7 Edge online, which certainly look quite threatening. The shape of the usually-striking Smartphone appears quite altered in its current state.
The event follows the earlier incident in the US where the victim in contention, Daniel Ramirez sued the company after the phone’s explosion caused him “permanent and life-altering injuries, requiring skin grafts on his leg”. How Samsung handles that situation is yet to be seen.
The issue of the burning S7 Edge phones is still likely not a catastrophic one, as the handset has been on sale is on sale for months as of now but after the Note 7 situation, it is clear that such cases will be under higher scrutiny from both the authorities and the public. We await an official confirmation on the case, though, if there’ll be any.