The PTA Chairman, who is currently holding the additional charge of CEO National ICT R&D Fund, has said that scholarships worth Rs 4.4 billion have been offered under the program so far.
Furthermore 49,326 students, 3,566 teachers were trained along side 4,761 scholarships were offered to students from 29 universities across Pakistan.
Chairman said that 70 students who secured top positions at their universities and 10 different projects received awards in various ICT competitions.
He further said that 121 projects worth Rs. 2 billion were approved, out of which 55 have been completed, 30 projects are nearing completion, 21 projects are still on-going while another 15 are yet to enter the development phase.
The committee was also given briefing on successful Technical R&D Projects, which include;
- Design and implementation of a prototype for a secure billing framework with real time detection of malicious end node connections (UET, Peshawar)
- Multimodal sensing enabled real-time intelligent wireless camera networks for secure spaces (UET, Lahore),
- Arrhythmia and sudden death syndrome detection hybrid network based telemedicine system (CASE, Islamabad),
- Integrated scholastic learning system (Knowledge Platform, Islamabad)
- Development of a tele-surgical training robot and simulator (SEECS-NUST, Islamabad)
- Safety assurance in high stress environments (SEECS-NUST, Islamabad)
- Real time automated broadcast monitoring and information exploitation system (TechArete, Islamabad).
The committee appreciated the efforts and decided to hold a meeting with the experts, who developed these projects.
Committee said that these project developers should be given a chance to practically demonstrate their projects before the parliamentarians and media which would help in inculcating awareness among the masses.
It was further informed about an ICT entrepreneurship development platform “National Incubation Center” funded by Company and outsourced to a professional management team with an objective to accelerate the growth and success of ICT entrepreneurship.
Chairman said that it has been established at allocated space of about 18,000 square feet at National Information Technology Board (NITB) building, Islamabad with the capacity of 40 incubatee teams per annum.
Chairman PTA said that new initiatives have been taken including Programs for PWDs, Research & Innovation Center(s), Cyber Security, artificial Security, renewable energy and big data analytics.