With China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) opening new doors for entrepreneurs, businesses and upcoming professionals, it is the best time for young graduates to beef up their qualifications and improve their chances of employment by learning the Chinese language.
In order to meet the dire need of Chinese to Urdu/English or Punjabi translators and vice versa, the Punjab government launched a scholarship program in 2015. This provided talented individuals with an opportunity to improve their skills, live abroad, learn a new language via a fully funded scholarship.
The program plans to send 500 students to China to learn Mandarin under the 4th batch of the program. During the first three batches, 345 students were awarded Chinese language scholarships. With Batch IV, about 155 students who meet the eligibility criteria, will receive the scholarship awards.
High achievers (A+ & A Graders) who come back to Pakistan will get a job placement upon their return while those who wish to continue studying the language will be offered an extended scholarship for a 4 year Chinese Language Degree Program.
Applicants need to meet the following criteria before they apply for the scholarship:
- Domicile of any district of Punjab.
- Between 22 to 24 years of age.
- Minimum 14 years of education from an accredited institution with at least first division in Bachelors.
- Applicant needs to medically fit.
- Provisionally selected candidates need to complete a short (2-3 weeks) Chinese course at a local institution.
- After final selection, applicants will need to secure admission for Chinese Language Studies in any approved Chinese institution for up to two years.
The applicants will be selected if they meet the eligibility criteria and the requirements of the scholarship program:
- If the applicants are double the number of available seats, a written test may be conducted to shortlist the candidates. Shortlisted candidates will then be interviewed to finalize the list.
- Students who qualify in the local Chinese language course will be offered the final scholarship award.
- Candidates working in government, semi-government or autonomous bodies need to send their applications though proper channels and with an No Objection Certificate (NOC).
- Applicants with prior Chinese language ability or those belonging to Southern Punjab will be given preference.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to apply online here and submit a hard copy of the application form along with relevant documents to the Financial Aid Office (FAO).
Last date for applications is 20th June 2017.