The long awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed Xiaomi Mi Mix is finally here. The company announced Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 in an event today which improves on the older model in quite a few things and comes at a lower starting price.
The improvements make the phone a more practical choice for everyday usage.
Mi Mix 2 will be available in 4 different models: 64 GB (Rs. 53,300), 128 GB (Rs. 58,000), 256 GB (Rs. 65,000) and a special edition (Rs. 76,000) with unibody ceramic and an 18K gold rim on the back camera.
Design and Display
The overall footprint of the Mi Mix 2 is smaller than last year’s model with an 18:9 aspect ratio 6 inch IPS LCD Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) display. The chin size has also been reduced by 12% for better aesthetics.
Xiaomi opted for 2 different designs for the Mix 2, with a ceramic body encased in an aluminium frame in the regular version and a new “unibody ceramic” design. The unibody ceramic, as the name implies, is a single block of ceramic perfected in an extensive 7 day process.
Additionally the special edition features an 18K gold rim on the back camera, with a fingerprint sensor underneath.
The earpiece has also seen changes as users complained about it being too quiet on the original Mi Mix. This time Xiaomi used a regular speaker unit and tunneled it towards the top of the phone. It still uses an ultrasonic proximity sensor like the previous version.
Unfortunately, Mi Mix 2 is not water resistant or dust resistant, which puts these phones on the back foot in terms of overall ruggedness. Another missing feature is the headphone jack which is another let down.
Internals and Storage
Mi Mix 2 features the best in class Snapdragon 835 processor with 6 GB RAM and 64/128/256 GB storage. The special edition is limited to 128 GB models only, not that we’re complaining. No memory card slot is available for any model.
Mi Mix is dual SIM by default and supports up to 47 different LTE bands, so you don’t need to worry about your Telenor or Zong SIM not working on it.
On the OS side of things is Android 7.0 Nougat with MIUI 9 skin. Upgrade to Oreo hasn’t been announced yet, but you can count on Xiaomi as they regularly update their phones.
Camera and Battery
Mi Mix 2 uses the same camera as the Mi 6 with a 12 MP Sony IMX 386 sensor. With that comes phase detection autofocus, 4 axis OIS and a dual LED flash. It does seems odd that one of the best Xiaomi phones doesn’t have a dual camera setup.
The front camera uses a 5 MP sensor.
For the battery, Mi Mix 2 has a 3,400 mAh unit which should be sufficient considering MIUI 9’s optimizations. You also get Quick Charge 3.0 fast charging support.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Specifications
- CPU: 4x 2.45 GHz Kryo & 4x 1.9 GHz Kryo
- GPU: Adreno 540
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat based MIUI 9
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G Dual Sim
- Unibody Ceramic (Special edition)
- Ceramic body with aluminium frame
- Special audio recording hardware/software for clarity
- Ultrasonic proximity sensor
- Fingerprint scanner
- 18K Gold rimmed camera (Special edition)
- Display: 6″ IPS LCD display with Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) resolution
- RAM: 6/8 GB
- Internal: 64/128/256 GB
- Card slot: No
- Primary: 12 MP, Sony IMX 386 sensor, phase detection autofocus, OIS (4-axis), dual-LED (dual tone) flash. 4K & Slow motion video recording.
- Secondary: 5 MP
- Connectivity: NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5, GPS
- Battery: 3,400 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
- Colours: White, Black
- Price: 64 GB (Rs. 53,300), 128 GB (Rs. 58,000), 256 GB (Rs. 65,000), Special Edition (Rs. 76,000)