The City of Lights will see a return of cricket for the first time since 2009. The preparations, to welcome the national and international cricketing stars, are in full swing in Karachi already.
To ensure foolproof security, authorities have released a detailed plan so that any extraordinary situation can be effectively dealt with.
The in-comers will follow the designated routes that will lead to the National Stadium. Six lanes have been established through the routes where the visitors will be physically searched and tickets will be verified.
Vehicle owners will park their rides at any of the following parking spaces designated for the match;
- Gharib Nawaz Football Ground near Millenium Mall
- Ground beside Hakeem Saeed Park
- Sunday Bazaar ground adjacent to Baitul Mukarram Mosque
- KMC Ground
- Federal Urdu University ground
- China Ground (Kashmir Road)
- KDA Club
Shuttle service has been launched as well, that will take the spectators to the stadium. Another physical search will be performed after the drop off at these spots.
The shuttle will drop the visitors at one of the following three locations;
- Opposite Bahria University.
- Expo Centre.
- Aga Khan Hospital.
All spectators, excluding senior and disabled citizens, will travel by foot to the stadium gates. Disabled and senior citizens will be carried to the gates via buses.
A third physical search will be performed at the gates of the stadium. After that, the spectators will be allowed to enter the stadium and get to their seats.
No one will be allowed to carry any eatable items into the stadium. Instead, food stalls will be established by PCB-approved vendors inside the stadium.
Spectators will be allowed to take their phones with them inside the stadium. They must possess the ticket and their CNIC at all times as well. However, any other electronic device like a power bank etc will not be allowed in the stadium.
Traffic and Security
Police and other law enforcement agencies have been assigned the task to handle the security outside the stadium. Rangers will handle the situation inside the National Stadium Karachi.
8,500 policemen have been assigned to the security detail and another 1,600 traffic police officials will control the traffic system. Several police officials will ensure the security of hotels where players will stay.
The following traffic plan will be implemented on the 25th of March.
- Roads from New Town and Hassan Square will be blocked for all traffic.
- Traffic coming from Airport or Nursery will be diverted to Drigh Road.
- Traffic from Rashid Minhas Road will be diverted towards Drigh Road from NIPA. And traffic from Shahrah-e-Faisal will be put on National Institue Of Public Administration (NIPA) road.
- All routes on the Stadium road leading to private hospitals will remain open.
- Shahrah-e-Faisal and Shahrah-i-Quaideen will remain open for traffic as well.
Spectators are advised to reach the stadium three to four hours before the start of the match. Shuttles will follow the aforementioned schedule:
- 12 pm: Shuttle will carry spectators from parking to drop zone.
- 5 pm: Stadium gates close.
- 6 pm: Starting time for the opening ceremony.
- 7 pm: Expected starting time for the final match.
- 11 pm: Expected finishing time for the match.
Ambulances will be present at the parking areas at all times to handle any medical emergency.
About the Final
Peshawar Zalmi and Islamabad United will face off in the final at Karachi. Both teams have already won the PSL title before. Zalmi are the defending champions while Islamabad were crowned the trophy in the inaugural edition of the Pakistan Super League.