Mushkin – a Texas-based company specializing in computer storage – has unveiled a new range of SSDs which come at an affordable price. The series is dubbed Source and uses cost-efficient 3D TLC NAND memory to reduce prices to as low as $39.
So far, Mushkin’s Source drives come in three different sizes – 120 GB, 250 GB, and 500 GB, however, the company has promised a 1 TB variant in the future.
The drives use a familiar SATA interface for easy usage alongside most desktops and newer laptops. The M.2 variants are expected to be launched sometime in April.
The 3D TLC NAND memory comes from an undisclosed manufacturer, although, the Source drives use Silicon Motion’s SM2258XT controllers.
According to an official figure, Mushkin Source offers similar read/write speeds as compared to others in its segment.
The largest drive (500 GB) in the series so far has a sequential read and write speeds of 560 MB/s and 520 MB/s respectively. The smallest (120 GB) one delivers 510 MB/s read and 440 MB/s write speed in contrast. M
Mushkin claims that the drives have a 1.5 million hour MTBF.
Price & Availability
These SSDs are only available from noted retailers including Amazon, however, they will soon be available to a wider audience.
The official price for 120 GB model is $39, 250 GB one comes for 63$, and 500 GB size tallies at a modest $110 – all three covered by a three-year limited warranty.
Mushkin Source Specifications
- Model Number: MKNSSDSR-120 GB, MKNSSDSR-250 GB, MKNSSDSR-500 GB
- Controller: Silicon Motion SM2258XT
- NAND Flash: 3D TLC NAND
- Sequential Read: 510 MB/s in 120 GB, 560 MB/s in 250/500 GB
- Sequential Write: 440 MB/s in 120 GB, 515 MB/s in 250 GB, 520 MB/s in 500 GB
- Random Read IOPS: Up to 29K IOPS in 120 GB, Up to 54K IOPS in 250 GB, Up to 75K IOPS in 500 GB
- Random Write IOPS: Up to 79K IOPS in 120 GB, Up to 81K IOPS in 250 GB, Up to 81K IOPS in 500 GB
- Pseudo-SLC Caching: Supported
- DRAM Buffer: No
- TCG Opal Encryption: No
- Power Management: DevSleep
- Warranty: 3 years
- MTBF: 1.5 million hours
- Price: $39 120 GB, $63 250 GB, $110 500 GB