It’s not everyday you see a Chinese company bust out an iPhone rival just days after Apple’s event.
Meizu’s massive launch event also included the X8, which is the first Meizu phone to feature a notched design. There were numerous other things that Meizu was eager to highlight with the X8, let’s start with the design.
Design and Display
Meizu didn’t hesitate to point out the similarities between the X8 and iPhone XR. Aside from the notch, the company also used the same LCD COF tech used on the Apple phone, which allows for thinner bezels with an LCD display. The back is made of porcelain with a fingerprint sensor below the dual camera module.
It features a 6.15-inch display at Full HD+ resolution, covering 83% of the NTSC color gamut. The screen to body ratio comes in at an impressive 89.6%.
Internals and Storage
Powering the Meizu X8 is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 710, the same as Meizu 16X. This is the first time Meizu has used a Snapdragon 710 SoC for its phones. It comes with 4 or 6 GB RAM as well as 64/128GB of internal storage.
Like the other two, this one also comes with Android 8.1 Oreo and Meizu’s FlymeOS on top.
As seen in the image above, Meizu X8 has a dual camera setup on the back, with 12MP + 5MP Dual PD autofucs, f/1.9 aperture sensors.
On the front, the X8 has a 20 MP shooter, complete with AI beauty modes and smart blur for that portrait mode bokeh effect.
Battery and Price
Finally the X8 has a 3,210 mAh battery with fast charging support, promising 50% charge in just 30 minutes. Here are the prices for the different storage and RAM variants of the Meizu X8:
- 4GB+64GB, 1598 yuan (~$233)
- 6GB + 64GB, 1798 yuan ($262)
- 6GB + 128GB, 1998 yuan ($291)
Sales begin in China from November 1st.
Meizu X8 Specifications
- CPU: Octa-core 2.2 GHz processor
- GPU: Adreno 616
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 710
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo with FlymeOS
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G
- Porcelain body
- 6.15″ COF LCD display with Full HD+ (1080 x 2160) resolution
- RAM: 4/6 GB
- Internal: 64/128 GB
- Primary: 12MP + 5MP Dual PD autofocus, f/1.9 aperture, dual-LED dual-tone flash
- Secondary: 20 MP
- Connectivity: NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5, GPS
- Battery: 3,210 mAh with fast charging (50% in 30 minutes)