We have been hearing from Mobile phone operators that business in the telecom sector hasn’t been the same, as it once was. We hear that price war is hampering the revenue, then data revenues aren’t picking up as quick as they are cannibalizing the conventional revenue stream and so on.
We also hear that heavy taxes — directly on mobile services and indirect taxes on telecom equipment, mobile devices etc. — aren’t letting the telecom sector pick up.
Today we will look at revenue of all mobile phone companies to understand how they fared during past three years. We will also try to compare the performance and growth in revenues of these mobile operators to estimate the future trajectory of these operators during next few years.
|FY 2015||FY 2016||FY 2017||Total|
Amounts are in PKR Million
From the first look, here are our first impressions:
- Jazz is the clear market leader for market share in terms of revenue.
- Jazz was able to achieve more growth in revenue than any other operator.
- Overall revenue of all four operators grew well in 2016, but was caught up during 2017.
- Zong fared well during 2017, where it showed double digit growth in revenue.
- Jazz and Ufone showed a decline during 2017.
We have prepared an infograph for your consumption as well. Here you go: