Facebook has historically tried its hardest to avoid taking action against President Trump’s posts that went against its own rules. On Wednesday, however, the social media giant was forced to do so when one of the President’s posts went against its policies regarding misinformation.
In fact, both Twitter and Facebook were forced to block a video shared by one of the President’s accounts for violating policies regarding coronavirus misinformation. One of his accounts on Twitter @TeamTrump was temporarily blocked from sharing new tweets due to a clip of an interview in which Trump said that children are “virtually immune” to COVID-19.
The same clip was posted on Facebook as well before being quickly removed. This is because both social media platforms have policies that prevent the spread of misleading and potentially harmful information.
However, later it was noted that it was only the @TeamTrump account that had been impacted but it started sharing tweets again today. President Trump shared the same clip on his personal account @realDonaldTrump as well, but it was not removed from the main account because the video was reposted from the president’s campaign account and was not an original upload, according to Twitter.
In response to the action taken against the President’s posts, one of his campaign spokeswoman Courtney Parella said in a statement:
Another day, another display of Silicon Valley’s flagrant bias against this President, where the rules are only enforced in one direction. Social media companies are not the arbiters of truth.
Regardless, Twitter has been more aggressive against the President’s tweets after it was criticized for its lack of action against misinformation. In May, it flagged two of President Trump’s posts which were spreading misinformation. Facebook also promises to do the same after taking endless criticism.