The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has invited applications from Pakistani and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) nationals under Commonwealth Scholarship Program 2022 for MS and Ph.D. in the United Kingdom.
Managed collaboratively by the HEC and Commonwealth Scholarship Commission of the UK, the Commonwealth Scholarship Program aims to enable talented individuals to study in top UK universities and contribute to the sustainable development of Pakistan.
Here are the important details one should know about the Commonwealth Scholarship Program 2022.
The Commonwealth Scholarship Program 2022 are being offered under six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
- Applicants must be Pakistani and AJK nationals and permanent residents of Pakistan and AJK. Dual nationals are not eligible.
- For MS scholarships, applicants must possess a relevant first-class qualification (16 years BS/MSc degree) by the closing date.
- For Ph.D. scholarships, applicants must possess a relevant first-class qualification (17-18 years MS/MPhil degree) by the closing date.
- Ph.D. applicants must provide proof of support of a potential supervisor from at least one UK university listed in the application form.
- Applicants can have a maximum of two second divisions throughout their educational career. However, their last degree must be in the first division.
- Applicants must not be registered in an MS or Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D. at any UK university before September/October 2022
- They must not have commenced or be currently registered for an MS or Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D. at any university in Pakistan or elsewhere.
- Successful candidates must be available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2022.
- Applicants must submit two references online to the UK application system.
- They must obtain a minimum of 70% marks in Aptitude Test to be conducted by HEC’s Education Testing Council (ETC).
How to Apply?
Applicants must apply online at both the Commonwealth and HEC portals. Applications sent through any other mode will not be entertained.
In case applicants fail to apply at both portals, their applications will not be considered.
It is also advised that applicants provide all supporting documents in the required format. Otherwise, their applications will be rejected.
HEC Online Portal
- Both MS and Ph.D. applicants can apply through the HEC’s Online Portal after registering and fulfilling their profiles.
- They are required to deposit Rs. 800 (non-refundable) Aptitude Test fee in Account No. 17427900133401, Habib Bank Limited, Sector H-9, Islamabad. Deposits can be made online through all HBL branches across Pakistan.
- Applicants are required to upload the scanned copy of the bank receipt along with their application on the HEC’s Online Portal.
Commonwealth Online Portal
MS and Ph.D. applicants are required to apply through their respective Electronic Application Systems (EAS).
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission of the UK will make the final selection on the basis of the following:
- Academic merit
- Quality of the plan of study
- Potential impact on the development of Pakistan
Successful candidates will receive:
- Return air ticket
- Approved tuition fee
- Living allowance of £1,133 per month. Only those in London’s universities will receive £1,390 per month.
- Warm clothing allowance
- Study-related travel allowance to travel within the UK or overseas.
The last date to apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship Program 2022 for HEC Online Portal is 1 November 2021 before 4 PM PST.
For Commonwealth Online Portal, the last date to apply is 1 November 2021 before 4 PM GMT.
Note that Pakistan is located in GMT+5 time zone, meaning the applications must be submitted to Commonwealth Online Portal before 11 AM PST on 1 November 2021.
Applicants are advised to regularly check their emails and HEC’s official website for any updates regarding the scholarships.
Read more about Commonwealth Scholarship Program 2022 on HEC’s official website.
Check the details of MS scholarships here.
Check the details of Ph.D. scholarships here.