How To Change Your Legal Name With NADRA

How To Change Your Legal Name With NADRA

Here’s how to change your legal name with NADRA

NADRA’s Policy For Change Of Name

As of late, the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) has issued legal guidelines for people who need to change their names against past database.

How To Change Your Legal Name With NADRA

A spokesman for NADRA stated, that for changing details, applicants must fulfill certain conditions to qualify for the process. If the applicant’s qualification is Secondary School Certificate (MATRIC) or above, name – as appearing on Matriculation Certificate – will be written, while if head of family (father/husband) changes his name, all family members will be required to modify their CNICs/NICOPs/CRCs.

He said for NICOP & POC holders, a name change deed duly verified by the concerned consulate general, is required (only for abroad NADRA Swift Registration Centres).

Tentative Procedure | NADRA

  1. In order to change your name through a deed poll, you need to provide a valid and specific reason for changing your name.
  2. Contact a lawyer, a notary officer or directly go to a district court apply for an affidavit attested by first class magistrate for registration of an affidavit mentioning the reasons why you want to change your name, your current name and the new name you want take officially.
  3. Present the documents listed in the “Required Documents” section of this page or as may be needed depending on your case.
  4. If the magistrate is satisfied that you qualify to change your name, you will be issued an attested affidavit.
  5. You will then be required to publish your affidavit in a Gazette Notification and in your local newspaper that you want to change your name.
  6. The original copies of the “Gazette Notification” are very important. These copies will help you to change you Voter ID, Bank name and etc.

How To Change Your Legal Name With NADRA

Required Documents

  • Certificate of Criminal Record
  • Application addressed to a first-class magistrate
  • Identity Card (original and photocopy)
  • Birth certificate

Location | Contact NADRA

National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA)

NADRA State Bank of Pakistan Building, Shahrah-i-Jamhuriat,

G-5/2, Islamabad, 44000, Pakistan


7000 (for subscribers of Mobilink, Ufone, Telenor and Zong),

+92 51 111 786 100 (for fixed lines and overseas applicants)

Website: Nadra Pakistan


Eligibility | Requirement | NADRA

If you want to change the name of your child before 18 years of age, you have to submit the affidavit and get a new birth certificate. Visit the link provided, and follow the given instructions:

How To check eligibility criteria

The page provides affidavits for a variety of queries, so select the file you need for your application. Download it, fill it, and then proceed further. Mind you, the form is in Urdu:

how to download application form for changing legal name

After the age of 18 years, it will be very difficult to change the name without a good reason. So, make sure you have a good enough reason to change your name; loose impressions and vague excuses will be outright discarded by NADRA.

Fill the above-mentioned affidavit, get it stamped by a state-recognized magistrate and await decision from NADRA. You will be duly contacted and – if approved – advised to visit your district’s Union Council Office. The Union Council Secretary will load your application on his computer screen, and you will be an accorded witness to your change of details.

The name-change process usually takes 3-7 business days. Make sure that other details don’t get mixed up with NADRA’s database. This process is highly delicate, so practice utmost caution and sincerity.

Well people, there you have it! This article was all about How To Change Your Legal Name With NADRA. We hope this was exactly what you needed.

Good luck!


Written by Ahsan Gardezi