SIMs to be Activated only After Customer Verification from Jan 31, 2009
We had informed our readers about the removal of pre-activated SIMs from market, to cap sale of illegal SIMs in early September, and then there were reports that a policy is being made to execute the idea.
Now there is news that Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has given out a date and has decided to implement a system for activation of new mobile SIMs after verification of customers’ starting from January 31, 2009.
Decision was taken unanimously in a meeting of mobile companies’ CEOs and the regulatory affairs officials that was chaired by chairman PTA and attended by senior PTA officials.
Chairman PTA decided that from January 31, 2009 onwards non-active mobile SIMs will be sold which will be activated only after the verification of consumer data from NADRA, subsequently sale of pre-activated SIMs would be stopped. Furthermore, 10 mobile connections could be issued at most on one CNIC.
“PTA would conduct a survey to check violation of SOP after two weeks. If any violation would be observed the authority would issue show cause notice and impose fines on the mobile companies”, Said Chairman PTA
It was also decided that PTA and Mobile operators will run media campaigns to educate the subscribers to have SIMs registered in their names.
- No Pre-Activated SIMs to be Sold after January 31st
- Cellular Companies Set Ready for New SIM Verification System
- 10.5 Million Unverified SIMs Blocked
- Automated System for Sale of Mobile SIMs Commercially Launched
- PTA to Introduce New SIM Activation Method
- SIMs to be Posted to Mailing Addresses instead of Direct Selling at Franchises
- Chairman PTA Visits Telenor Pakistan's Call Center