Broadband Users to hit 5 Mln Mark in 3 years
Five million broadband users’ mark in next three years was set as a target during a meeting of Broadband Stakeholders Group (BSG). Meeting was presided over by Dr. Mohammed Yaseen, Chairman PTA and attended by representatives from Ministry of Information Technology, Universal Service Fund, Pakistan Software Houses Association, PTA, Broadband Service Providers, Cellular Mobile Operators, Telecom Vendors and Academia.
Broadband stakeholders Group is recently formulated by Pakistan Telecommunication authority to improve coordination among various industry players, provide them a common platform to share their ideas and draft recommendations for improving proliferation of Broadband services in the country.
During the meeting, stakeholders decided new definition of broadband internet and termed 256 Kilobytes Per Second (kbps) as minimum speed for true Broadband by defination.
BSG members were briefed on proposed working areas of BSG which included Broadband Infrastructure, Broadband Content and Applications Take-Up, Broadband Policy and Regulation Framework and Rural Broadband Connectivity.
The participants were also briefed about the structure of BSG along with proposed timeline for key activities of the group.
Dr. Aamir Matin, Country Manager Cisco Pakistan was chosen as the Chairman of Broadband Stakeholders Group. It was decided that the BSG members would finalize their recommendations within six months time period.
- Broadband Stakeholders Group Marks out Future Roadmap
- Breaking: Link Dot Net Considering to Quit Operations in Pakistan
- Augere and Cybernet sign MOU
- Huawei Enters into Equipment Supply Agreement with Wateen and Qubee
- Akbar Associates to Get Prodea’s Broadband Solution
- Broadband Services can Uplift Economy: PTA
- PTA To Establish WiMAX Labs For Rapid Broadband Proliferation