National Engineering Robotics Contest (NERC) has been steadily growing in popularity ever since its inception in 2003 (It was given the name of NERC in 2005).
NERC 2011 that was organized by STEM Career Program, HEC and NUST held at the College of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering (EME) Rawalpindi from the 28th of June to the 2nd of July.
It’s a national robotics competition in which different universities from all over Pakistan come together and battle it out for prizes in different categories.
This year many universities like FAST, GIKI, LUMS and UET Lahore participated in the event, where students were encouraged to design, develop and program their respective robots.
Previously, EME College, NUST has won the event title the most times, bagging the trophy 6 times in years 2003, 04, 06, 07 and 08. FAST won the competition in year 2005 while Center for Advanced Studies in Engineering has been on a winning streak for the past two years (2009, 10). Interest in NERC 2011 was an all time high with 160 teams from all over Pakistan including teams from NWFP, Sindh and Baluchistan participating.
In an unprecedented act of excellence and sacrifice, this year CASE and EME College decided to give away their ranks and prizes to other universities in order to promote competition and interest in robotics.
It was perhaps ironic that these institutes were the only ones whose robots completed the predefined task. Of the 7 robots that completed the task, 6 belonged to CASE (CASE also set a record for the most points scored by a single institution) and 1 to EME College.
The fastest robot was Infinity from CASE, the second fastest was from EME College and five other teams from CASE also completed the task securing positions 3 to 7. It must have been hard to see the cash prizes being distributed amongst the teams that failed to achieve the task even in 3 tries but the spirit which the two institutions showed was commendable.
CASE has also beaten all local competition second time in a row to compete in ROBOCON 2011 which will be held in Bangkok this year. Last year CASE managed to beat India in ROBOCON 2010 that was held in Egypt. Not only that, few days back, CASE team also won the best award in ICT COMPPEC 2011, a national project exhibition and competition. They carry the hopes of the nation this year and we are praying for their success in Bangkok this year.
Prizes for different categories were given by the chief guest Dr. Ansar Parvez, Chairman Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and the teams/competitors that won in different categories are as follows:
- Winner NERC 2011: Virtuoso (SEECS, NUST)
- 1st Runner up NERC 2011: Line Cruser Returns (University of Lahore)
- 2nd Runner up NERC 2011: Box Hunter (Bahria University)
- 2 x Best Engineering Excellence Awards:
- M6 from College of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering
- Infinity from CASE
- 3 x Best Engineering Design Award:
- Nuts & Volts (NED, Karachi)
- Mechatron (Wah Engineering College)
- MUET boy (MUET, Jamshoro)
- Winner NERC 2011 Lego Award: Agent 47 (Beacon house Educational Complex)Appache786 (Army Public School EME)
- 1st Runner up NERC 2011 Lego Award: Ballistic Catapult (Beacon House Educational Complex)
- 2nd Runner up NERC 2011 Lego Award: Lego Baba and Captain Jack Sparrow
- Youngest participants Award: Fayed Arshad of 6th class in Headstart School
- 5 x Participants & Performance Awards:
- Legomegatron (Headstart School)
- Infiltrator (FG Sir Syed College)
- Kratos (SEECS, NUST)
- Botzilla (NED University)
- The Quest Small boy (Quaid-i-Azam University of Engineering, Nawabshah)
- Spirit of Participation Award: Baluchistan Institute of IT, Engineering and Management sciences.