The al-Khalid series Main Battle Tank (MBT) of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) is seemingly welcoming NORINCO VT4 main battle tank into its armory. The latest of the NORINCO’s MBTs, the VT4, offers a modern yet cost-effective MBT for the Pakistani market.
According to leaked images, the MBT was seen in HIT apparently on trial for addition to the al-Khalid series.
The design is based on the Chinese MBT ZTZ-99, used mostly by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
Offering high-tech warfare technology, the latest MBT boasts the following specs.
- Weight – 52,000 kg
- A 7.62mm coaxial machine gun
- A 125mm smoothbore gun
- A 12.7mm machine gun mounted on top
- 1,200 hp diesel engine
- Speed – 70 km/h
- Range – 500 km
- Dimensions: Length: 10.10 m; Width: 3.50 m; Height: 2.40 m
- Improved composite armor in addition to reactive armor for the sides
In addition, the MBT comes with accessories like:
- IFF (Identification, friend or foe)
- A collective NBC protection system
- Fire extinguisher feature
- GL5 active protection system
- Explosion suppression system
- Air-conditioning system
The MBT is a highly equipped tank meeting the needs of the modern warfare. In addition to the VT4, Pakistan Armed forces are looking to trial the Oplot-P MBT prepared by Ukraine’s Malyshev Factory. Earlier in August, the Ukrainian armor producing company talked about its production of 6TD-2 powered Oplot-P for trials in Pakistan.
Despite the fact that the tender details for these procurements have been kept off-the-shelf, Pakistan’s Ambassador to Ukraine General (R) Athar Abbas told Ukraine said that Pakistan might procure around 100 MBTs in order to meet the deficiency of MBT production in the country.
Here’s the tank in action: