The Government of Punjab has announced a new package for the financial assistance of civil servants of the province who die while in service. The package will be given as a one-time grant to the affected families.
The package was announced after two secretaries of PMS and PAS died last year. The government has already granted their families, with an additional Rs 15 million each to help them construct their houses.
The package will be implemented on the pattern of the ‘Shuhada Package’ which was awarded to the Police personnel who die in the line of duty.
Last year’s unfortunate incident of the Charing Cross blast in Lahore resulted in casualties of Punjab Police’s officials including the DIG Traffic retired Capt Ahmed Mubeen and the acting DIG Operations Zahid Ikram Gondal. All the affectees of the incident were provided with Police’s Shuhada Package.
For the unarmed civil servants, there was no such package.
- For BS-1 to 4, a lump sum amount of Rs. 1.6 million will be awarded (Previously Rs. 0.4 million)
- For BS 5 to 10, the amount goes up to Rs. 1.9 million (Previously Rs 0.6 million)
- For BS-11 to 15, the government will grant an amount of Rs. 2.2 million (Previously Rs 0.8 million)
- For BS-16 and 17, the grant awarded will be up to Rs. 2.5 million (Previously Rs 1 million)
- For BS 18 and 19, the package has reached Rs. 3.4 million (Previously Rs 1.6 million)
- For BS-20 the affectees will get Rs. 4 million (Previously Rs2 million)
In addition to the one-time grants, the family of the deceased will keep getting the monthly salary on regular basis (As per his/her last salary). Also, the annual increases will be the same as before. Once the retirement age of the deceased is reached, the family will start getting the amount equivalent to deceased’s pension.
Other benefits for the family of the deceased include:
- Retention of the government accommodation till the age of the superannuation
- An education scholarship for the officer’s children (up to three) out of the Benevolent Fund
- Appointment of one child or widow in BS-1 to BS-11 posts
- Marriage grant and free health facilities (as per the entitlement)
- Pension/general provident fund and monthly benevolent grant