It may sound pretty difficult, but making an ice-cream sandwich cake is actually quite easy.
The recipe we are sharing today features a generous amount of chocolate cake, with a decadent and creamy vanilla scoop of Ice cream in between!
Want to cut right to the case? Here’s how you can make your own vanilla ice-cream cake with chocolate, with the help of this simple step-by-step recipe.
Pro Tip: You can replace the vanilla Ice-cream with variations like peanut butter Ice-cream or chocolate Ice-cream or vanilla ice cream topped with ganache. The options are endless!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil/melted unsalted butter
- 3 rectangular ice cream boxes (or as needed)
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment papers.
• Sift and mix all the dry ingredients together.
• Add in the eggs, oil/butter and water to the dry ingredients and mix well.
• Spread the batter onto the pre-lined baking sheets.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
• Allow the cakes to cool completely
• Using a ruler and toothpicks, Cut each cake into 7 by 13-inch rectangles.
• Round the edges of the rectangles with a knife.
• Punch 5 holes across and 15 holes down the cake, using a straw.
• Lay out plastic wrap huge enough to cover the entire cake.
• Place the first layer of the cake down on the plastic wrap.
• Cut open ice cream cartons and lay the ice cream down on the bottom of the cake.
• Cover with more plastic wrap and smooth down the sides and top until it forms a block.
• Remove plastic wrap and top with second cake layer
• Wrap the entire cake in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
• Enjoy your delicious giant ice cream sandwich.