This was a rather clever move by Telegram and will tip over WhatsApp users that are still on the fence about quitting the Facebook-owned platform.
The blockchain-based messaging app introduced the new history import tool yesterday on iOS and Android bundled with version 7.4. Here is how you can use it to import your chats:
- Download the latest version of both applications.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the chat you want to export
- Select “Export chat” from the contact info menu.
- Choose either of the two options, i.e., “Attach Media” or “Without Media”
- Choose Telegram from the sharing menu and select the contact you want to assign the imported chat to.
- Select “Import” from the prompt that pops up.
The messages imported from WhatsApp will be marked in Telegram as imported.
This new feature is only available to iOS users for now. However, people familiar with the matter claim that it will soon be released for Android users as well.