How to Make Slime | The Main Steps
- There are different recipes of slime such as classic borax free slime, stretchy slime, fluffy slime etc.
- Use white glue, baking soda and contact lens solution to make classic slime.
- Add 1/2 cup glue, 1 teaspoon borax and 1 or 1/2 water in the bowl and mix the solution to make stretchy slime.
Ever tried making slime in the home? If not then in this article you will learn how to make different slimes. The feeling of stretching and squishing it is so satisfying. For kids, it is a good learning activity. Making it is just like doing a scientific experiment.
If you have ever tried to make slime then you know that there are different ways to make it. But we will tell you about the best ways to make it. We will tell you what works in making slime and what not. Therefore, if you want to learn authentic ways for making it then you have to stay with us for a while.
It is a fun and best activity for relieving stress. It is not expensive to make it, you just need the right ingredients and you can easily make it. It’s up to you which kind of slime you want. Whether you want it fluffy or you want it stretchy and gooey.
To make it you must have all the ingredients otherwise you can’t make it. You cannot make a perfect slime in the first attempt. You have to attempt it for 3 to 4 times if you want it to be perfect. It is not a straight forward process, you must follow the instructions carefully. Otherwise, you will have a lot of wasted materials and gooey substances.
The slime making can be frustrated sometimes because you don’t get the desired result. Therefore, you must have a lot of patience in making it. Firstly, in this article we will tell you about how slime works and what kind of chemical reaction is involved in the process. After that, you will get to know about the different ways to create them.
How Slime Works
There are two types of fluids, one is Newtonian and other is non-Newtonian. The temperature only affects the Newtonian fluid viscosity and on the other hand, other factors affect the non-Newtonian fluid. As you all know that viscosity is a fluid ability to flow. So when you allow the Newtonian fluid to cool down, it will flow more slowly. However, the slime is a non-Newtonian fluid and it will change its viscosity when you apply pressure on it.
Therefore, when you squeeze it the flow would be different to the one when you let it slide through your fingers. The slime is just like a polymer and the white glue involved in the ingredients is a polymer as well. So when we add glue and borax together, the chemical reaction takes place. The protein molecules in the glue and borax add up to form cross-links. The polyvinyl acetate molecules do not slip past each other so freely. Therefore this reaction forms a goo that is called slime.
Classic Slime (Borax Free)
This is the ideal slime for beginners. Here is the complete procedure of making it without borax.
- Take 160 ml of plain white glue. If you want coloured slime then you can add food colour or you can take coloured glue.
- After that, take 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) of baking soda.
- Now take 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of contact lens solution.
- Measuring cup
- Firstly, you need to pour the glue into a bowl.
- After that, you have to measure the baking soda with measuring cup. Add ½ tablespoon of baking soda in the glue.
- You need to mix the glue and baking soda thoroughly.
- Put the contact lens solution in the mixture. The amount is specified in the ingredients.
- After that, mix the solution until it becomes difficult to mix.
- Now take the slime out of the bowl and squeeze it with your hands. You have to squeeze it until it takes the shape.
- If slime is too sticky when you are squeezing it then add ¼ tablespoon (3.25 ml) of contact lens solution and squeeze again.
- You need to add the contact lens solution and keep squeezing it, until unless you get the desired shape.
To make it, you need to follow the instructions carefully. Here are the ingredients you need to make stretchy slime.
- Take 1/2 cup (120 ml) of clear school glue. You can use white glue as well.
- Borax 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
- Water 1-1/2 cup (360 ml)
- Food colour
- Two bowls
- Measuring cup
- Wax paper
- Pour ½ cup (120 ml) of clear school glue in one bowl.
- After that, add 1/2 cup of water in the bowl and mix it.
- Now add food colour in the mixture and stir it. You can take food colour you want.
- Take other bowl and add 1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm water in it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of borax in the lukewarm water. You need to stir it until the borax is completely dissolved.
- Borax will take some time to dissolve so be patient.
- After borax is dissolved, add the glue mixture in it.
- You have to stir the mixture slowly and have to stir it as much as you can.
- Now use your hands and squeeze the mixture.
- Take the slime out of the bowl and put it on top of the wax paper.
- After that, you need to flatten the slime.
- You can add glitter in it if you like.
- Now you need to fold the slime in half and press it.
- You have to keep pressing it until you are satisfied with your slime.
The fluffy slime is easy to make and you can make it with ingredients available in your home. Just follow the instruction carefully.
- Shaving cream 2 cups (480 millilitres)
- School glue 8 ounces (120 millilitres)
- laundry stiffener 1/2 cup (120 millilitres)
- Food colour
- Measuring cup
- Large container
- Firstly, you need to add the glue in the large container.
- After that, add any food colour you want in the glue and stir it.
- Add the shaving cream in the glue mixture and stir it thoroughly.
- Now, pour the laundry stiffener in the mixture and stir the mixture.
- You have to use your hands to mix the solution.
- You need to keep mixing and squeezing the mixture until it becomes less sticky and more solid.
Slime without Glue
If you want to make slime which does not have glue or borax in it then here is the complete procedure for you.
- Kids Shampoo 2 tablespoons (30 ml)
- Shaving cream
- You need to pour kids shampoo into a bowl.
- After that, add shaving cream into the bowl.
- You need to keep in mind the ratio of shampoo and shaving cream. The ratio should be 1:1. If you are adding 2 tablespoons of shampoo then you must add 2 tablespoons of shaving cream.
- After that, you need to stir the mixture until it gains some uniform consistency.
- Now add salt in the mixture. The ratio here should be 6:1. If you have taken 2 tablespoons of shampoo, you have to add only 1 teaspoon of salt.
- After that, you have to mix the solution until the texture is smooth.
- Now put the mixture into the refrigerator and have to keep the mixture in it for 15 minutes.
- Take the mixture out from the refrigerator.
- Take out the mixture from the bowl and now you can play with your homemade slime.
These are some of the recipes for making slime at home. You just need the right ingredients to make it. There are some concerns about the use of borax in the process. However, we did not discover any problem regarding the use of borax in it. Some people complained about the burns they get from the use of borax in it. But the other recipes are also using the contact lens solution which is similar to the borax. So there aren’t many borax free recipes available on the internet.
Failures in Slime Making
As we told you earlier that you don’t get the perfect slime in the first attempt and if you get it then you are lucky. Most of the times people don’t follow the procedure closely and carefully. For instance, people don’t add the right amount of borax or contact lens solution in the mixture. If it is mentioned that you need to add 1 teaspoon of borax then adding 1 tablespoon of borax will not give you the desired result. Therefore, follow all the recipes closely and carefully.
In short, to get perfect slime you need to have to use the right ingredients in the right amount. Otherwise, the result will not be the same mentioned in the article. If you have any queries regarding slime then do let us know in the comments below