With the spread of Coronavirus, schools, colleges and universities across the globe are closed and have moved from traditional learning to online learning. For those of you who teach, the question is how to manage these online classes and make sure that everyone behaves during an online class. If you’re looking for the answer to this question, then just stick with us to the end. This article is all about how to make sure that your class behaves during an online lecture. Read!
The online classes don’t have the same environment that the traditional classes have. So, teachers mustn’t assume that students will automatically know how to behave in an online class. Teachers have to set some clear online class rules to avoid any disturbance during the lecture.
How to Make Sure That Your Class Behaves during an Online lecture | Suggestions
Most of the teachers are trying to figure out how to conduct these online classes since it is up to them to set the right tone and make this new method work. So, here are some of the things you can do to make sure that students behave during an online class.
- Let the students know how you want them to behave during class. Set some clear rules and tell them what you expect from them. Clearly articulating these rules and expectations in a respectful tone will help you to curb misbehaviour issues during an online class.
- Tell them about the consequences if they don’t meet those expectations on the first day of an online class. Let the students know that there are certain rewards and consequences that come from certain types of behaviour during the class.
- Use the first day of the class to create the right class environment. Interact with your students and tell them about the syllabus on the first day. Highlighting the class policies and syllabus will help teachers avoid any incivilities during an online class.
- Create a clear attendance rule for every student during an online lecture and let them know how to communicate their absence with a clear set of instructions.
- Make sure that every student’s webcam is on all the time, so you can see every student’s face and know what they are doing during the online lecture.
- Tell your students to keep their mic on mute unless they are speaking to you or the class.
- Ask students to avoid any side discussion with classmates to avoid any disturbance during an online class.
- Be empathetic and give students the time to adjust to this new class environment. Tell them why it is important for them to continue their studies during these tough times. If a student is struggling, ask him or her the reason. This engagement with your students will assure them that you’re here to support them.
- If a student wants to ask a question or comment on something, set clear guidelines as to how they will express their wish to participate. This way you won’t have to deal with any disturbance during the lecture.
And that’s how you can make sure that your class behaves during an online lecture. Let us know in the comments if you have questions regarding the article.