Forgetting or losing the password to your email account can be quite a situation. If you find yourself on the verge of losing your email account, this article will tell you all about how to recover your email password easily.
The age of technology is upon us and we cannot help but revel in the ease that it has brought in our lives. With great ease, however, come greater technicalities. In a world where everything is quite literally at your fingertips, all your personal information, data, and memories saved in a time-capsule called the internet, the risk of losing it all is also one tap away.
There is a wide variety of social media platforms these days and they all seem to be connected to one main source of information: your email account. As convenient as it is to have all your data stored in one place and all the other apps accessing it from there, it also becomes very risky. If you lose or forget your email ID, it can be very easy to either hack your account or for you to lose access to all connected accounts.
Luckily, with a little effort, you can retrieve your email password if you act on time.
How to Recover your Gmail Account Password
Usually, you can retrieve your Google account through verification codes but in the case that you forget either your username or password, you won’t get verification codes. Here’s how you can recover your email passwords in different scenarios:
If You Forgot Your Password
- Follow the link to recover your Google account.
- Google will ask you some personal questions based on the data you entered earlier to confirm it’s your account. Be as precise as you can.
- Once you are done answering questions, resent your password. Make sure you choose a strong and new password for extra safety measures.
If You Forgot Your Email Address
- Go to the link and follow the steps to find your email address.
- Make sure you know your full name, phone number, and recovery email address for the account.
- Proceed and follow the directions for confirmation of your account.
- Google will provide you a list of usernames that match your account details. Choose the one you think is yours and proceed further.
- If you can’t sign in to your Google mail account for some other reason, go to this link and select the issue.
- Google will then guide you further based on your problem.
Useful Tips to Complete Account Recovery
When you’re trying to recover your Google mail account, there are a few witty tips that can help you complete the process quickly.
Answer the Questions Precisely
Google asks you a number of questions related to the personal information on your account. Make sure you answer them precisely and as many of them as you can. Do not skip a question rather take a guess and keep going to avoid suspicious activity.
- Use a Known Location and Device
- Try to use a device that you mostly use to log in to your email account.
- If it is possible, do not switch between browsers.
- Log in from a location that is familiar, such as your workplace or home.
Type Your Password and Username with Accuracy
Try to avoid little mistakes such as the use of uppercase and lowercase letters or typos while trying to sign in.
Google also asks you to provide the last password you used for your email account. In that case, enter any recent password that you can recall. Try to be as accurate as you can.
Enter a Recovery Email Address
A recovery email address can save you tons of trouble if you somehow cannot get access to your Gmail account. You can even use it to sign in to your current account if that’s associated with your Gmail account.
Give Accurate Details
When you’re asked why you couldn’t sign in to your current account, try to be as elaborate as you can and give helpful details. If you cannot access your account because you’re traveling or you forgot the recent password that you changed, provide all this information where necessary. The similarity in the explanation can help your case a great deal.
If Your Google Account has been Compromised or Hacked
Any unexpected activity on your Google account signifies that someone else is using your Google account or other applications associated with it. Upon noticing any suspicious activity, you must follow these directions to get your account back:
- Try to sign in to your account using your email id and password.
- If you are blocked from signing in, go to the account recovery page and answer the questions in detail.
- Once you get access to your email account, make sure you secure it by changing the password immediately.
- Review your most recent activity and the devices used to log in to your account. Log out from any devices that you are not currently using.
- For extra security, use the 2-step verification feature on your email account. That way you’ll know if someone tries to log in to your account right away.
If for some reason, you are still unable to recover your account, make sure you report it to avoid any further inconvenience and make a new account. Disassociate all social media accounts from your Gmail account and change their passwords.
Identity theft is a crime and must be dealt with in a non-compromising manner. Always try to turn a 2-step verification process on your social media accounts where possible and avoid saving or using your personal accounts on untrustworthy devices.