Amendments in Telecom Act Proposed
National Assembly has accepted a bill to be presented in the house urging amendments in Pakistan Telecommunication Act 1996.
Bill has proposed amendments in 8 sections of Telecommunication Act, 1996 with 12 amendments in total.
The purpose of amendment is to introduce procedures for defining and tackling grey traffic. Moreover, PTA members are proposed to be called “Executive Members”, with one as the chairman of authority.
Authority will consist of 3 Executive Members and 5 non-executive members. All members will be appointed for a fixed term of 4 years with a chance for re-appointment. All members will be appointed with minimum experience of 15 years in Telecom, Finance or Legal domains, with 20 years of experience as exception for the chairman.
Bill proposed that Provincial Governments will nominate one non-executive member each, while fifth non-executive member will be nominated by Federal Government.
Bill says that Executive Members of authority will be paid the salary and be entitled to the privileges of MP-II while the chairman will be paid salary and be entitled to the privileges of MP-I.
Salary of non-executive members is proposed to be defined by authority itself.
Once passed from NA, Pakistan Telecommunication (Re-organization)(Amendment) Act, 2010 will be effective immediately.
- Amendments in Telecom Act to Be Finalized by October 2011
- Government Again Advertises for the Jobs of Three PTA Members
- Chaos at PTA: Members are Asked by DG to Not to Act as Chairman
- Taxes on Telecom Services to Remain Unchanged
- ECP Directs Government to Not to Hire PTA Members Due to Ban on Recruitments
- Farooq Ahmed Awan to be Appointed as Chairman PTA [Updated]
- Farooq Awan Appointed as Member Finance of PTA Despite LHC Orders