The caller, Martin Cooper who was a former Motorola employee, used a bulky Motorola DynaTAC 8000x phone which some people will remember as the phone they saw in GTA Vice City.
Martin called a reporter saying “I’m ringing you just to see if my call sounds good at your end” and his rival Joel Engel of Bell Labs telling him of the achievement: “Joel, this is Marty. I’m calling you from a cell phone, a real handheld portable cell phone”.
The rest is history.
“Joel, this is Marty. I’m calling you from a cell phone, a real handheld portable cell phone”
At the 40th anniversary of the historic event, the first public cell phone caller was honoured with this year’s Marconi prize.
Its just amazing too see how far the world has progressed from that moment onwards.
Here are some more facts about Cell Phones:
- in 1992 Nokia 1101 became the first GSM enabled phone
- Motorola StarTAC – back in 1996 – was first ever flip phone from any vendor
- Nokia 5100 was first ever phone with change-able casing, Nokia was later exclusively known for this feature
- Motorola MP 200 – in 2002 – is said to be the first Windows phone, with which users could read emails, SMS and install applications.
- Nokia N70 is considered as first largely sold phone with installable applications and games
Nokia, undoubtedly remained the king of cell phone makers during these 40 years. Nokia sold astonishing 250 million units of Nokia 1110 after it went on sale in 2005. Similarly, it sold 200 million Nokia 3210 and 150 million Nokia 1200. The famous Nokia 3310 was sold some 120 million times, at a time when cell phones were slightly rare thing to have.