Mr. Shahbaz Sharif, Chief Minister of Punjab, has ordered the reversal of 19.5% internet tax on wired and Mobile broadband, he himself revealed this in a status update posted on his official Facebook page.
It is believed that SRO for imposition of 19.5% tax on wired and mobile internet — issued on May 28th, 2015 — is finally going to get de-notified.
Not to forget, Finance Minister of Punjab had announced reversal of internet taxes on June 12th, 2015 during her budget speech. However, official notification for the same was never issued and instead PRA Chairman was cited as saying that tax was never withdrawn.
Now, just moments ago, CM Punjab and Umar Saif, Chairman PITB once again declared the reversal of internet and mobile data taxes adding that “Telcos must pass this on to the consumers”.
We will have to see if Punjab government will finally de-notify its SRO or we have will to wait for another few weeks for that.
A status updated posted by CM Punjab just moments ago
A status updat posted by Mr. Umar just moments ago
Not to mention, Ufone and Mobilink have already increased their 3G data tariffs by 19.5% amid the taxes that were imposed by Punjab. Both the operators had increased tariffs country wide. It is hoped that both operators will reverse data rates with this new development.
Following timeline could be interesting for those who have been following the development on internet taxes:
- May 28th, 2015: SRO for internet taxes issued by Punjab Revenue Authority
- June 8th, 2015: Digital protest against internet taxes started by publishers
- June 12th, 2015: Finance Minister, Punjab, announced the reversal of internet taxes
- July 13th, 2015: Finance Minister Punjab tells industry not to worry even without denofitication
- July 27th, 2015: Chairman PRA denies any withdrawn of internet taxes
- July 26th, 2015: Mobilink and Ufone increased 3G data rates due to taxes
- July 29th, 2015: CM Punjab himself announces the reversal of internet taxes