Plan9 is all set to launch The Launchpad 10 this summer. It is Plan9’s flagship event, held biannually and consists of screenings, workshops, talks and presentations. It takes place across Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad.
The Launchpad Competition
The Launchpad is marked by more than 100 selected startups from more than 3000 applicants from all over Pakistan. Plan9 has a number of global players on board. Google, Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft, form just the tip of the iceberg.
The Launchpad marks the beginning of incubation cycle. It is a week-long event with the competition part spread over two days. On Day 1, the shortlisted startups deliver their pitches to an external panel of judges. On the basis of the scores, the shortlisted startups qualify for Day 2 of The Launchpad.
On the second day, the startups pitch their business model once again, this time in a seven minute long pitch followed by three minutes of QnA.
The winners get a spot at Plan9 for incubation. Each incubation cycle lasts for 6 months.
To apply for The Launchpad you have to meet the following conditions:
- Be a Pakistani citizen.
- Although it is held in 3 major cities of Pakistan (Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad), it is a nationwide initiative and teams from all over Pakistan are called to participate. In case you’re selected for incubation and you reside outside of Lahore, you’ll have to re-locate to Lahore for 6 months.
- Must be above 18 years of age.
- One applicant can only apply with one idea.
- Startups need to have a product-based business idea.
- The product has to have a tech component.
- Startup should be able to present a mock up/wire-frame/prototype of the product.
- A Startup needs to have a strong, self-motivated and skillful team of 2- 5 members. 1 CEO and 1 CTO are a must.
- Founder(s) should not be employed elsewhere so they can commit to 6 months to his/her startup at Plan9.
- There’s no lower-limit for years of education of the founder(s) and team members.
Types of Business Idea
Since Plan9 is a technology incubator, your business idea must be product based and have a tech component. Your startup could be in any domain related to technology such as:
- Consumer Tech (e-commerce)
- EdTech (Education Tech)
- FinTech (Finance Tech)
- IoT (Internet of Things)
- SaaS (Software as a Service)
- Mobile App, Web App
What do you get from incubation at Plan9?
Once you get incubated, you get access to:
- Free work space and infrastructure.
- Mentoring on every aspect of a startup from product development to marketing.
- Training and workshops by industry experts including legal advice, networking opportunities, connection with potential clients.
How to Apply
Interested startups can apply by visiting the Plan9 website here. Last date for applications is 20 June 2017.
Dates for The Launchpad are:
- Lahore: 17th July to 23rd July
- Karachi: 27th July
- Islamabad: 29th July to 30th July