Pakistan has a potential to be a budding startup hub in the near future, only if the entrepreneurial talent in the country is allowed to bloom to its full glory. In the recent years, the number of accelerators and incubators has increased considerably — a good sign — but a lot still remains to be done.
One critical area where Pakistan falls short is focusing on the entrepreneurial development of students. There is a huge lack of student-focused competitions where they can be encouraged to create and showcase their own projects. Working on your own on something that you have created yourself instills a confidence and independence that is necessary for an entrepreneurial mindset.
“DICE Mega Event 2017” presents an opportunity for Pakistani university students to flex their entrepreneurial muscles. It is organized as a joint collaboration between Mirpur University of Science and Technology (MUST), Mirpur, Azad Jammu and Kashmir; and DICE (Distinguished Innovation, Collaboration & Entrepreneurship) Foundation, USA.
What is “DICE Mega Event 2017” about?
The aim of the event is to promote a culture of innovation, collaboration and entrepreneurship in the country. A project-based competition, DICE 2017 is open to project applications from students from various disciplines from all over Pakistan.
There are a total of four project categories or disciplines,
- Group A: Engineering & Technology, Computer Sciences and Information Technology
- Group B: Physical Sciences and Agricultural Sciences
- Group C: Arts and Humanities, Business and Social Sciences
- Group D: Biological Sciences, Medical Sciences and Veterinary Sciences
- Student teams from any HEC recognized degree awarding university/institute.
- Each team can have a max of four members.
- Each university needs to submit their most innovative projects from various disciplines.
How can I register?
- Register your project and team by visiting the following link.
- Register the project at dice innovation portal using the following link (only for Project Leaders).
The deadline for project submission is 15th of July, 2017.
Proposal acceptance will be sent to all the selected teams by the end of July. Then, they will be required to submit a written report/business plan by the 30th of October.
The teams will be evaluated on four key factors:
- Degree of Innovation (20%)
- Potential Impact on local industry and economy (20%)
- Readiness for commercialization (prototype, business plan) (50%)
- Presentation (10%)
Also, note that the top 10 project teams with high commercial potential projects will get a chance to pitch their projects in front of businessmen, investors, venture capitalists, and industry, in order to generate funds required to turn their projects into commercial ready products and services.
The winners will get a shield from DICE 2017 along with a cash prize:
- Winning Team: PKR 100,000/-
- 1st Runner-up Team: PKR 50,000/-
- 2nd Runner-up Team: PKR 25,000/-
When is the event?
The two-day event will be held from the 18th to 19th of December. The selected teams will be provided transport facility from Mirpur pickup point to the university as well as lodging with breakfast and dinner for a 3 night stay (17, 18 & 19 Dec).
You can find out more about about the event by going to DICE’s website.