Announced around 2 years ago, the Xperia Touch is an interactive projector which is basically a tablet that projects the screen on any surface – the projection can be interacted with like a normal touchscreen.
It is available on Amazon now with a hefty price tag of $1,700. Are the features really worth $1,700?
Let’s take a look at what the Xperia Touch can do.
The Xperia Touch uses a 100-lumen laser projector to turn any surface into a touchscreen. It is able to project a resolution of 23″-80″ HD (1366×768). A 13MP Exmor 60FPS camera picks up your taps and swipes. The virtual screen allows up to 10-finger multi-touch. It has built-in speakers on both sides.
The projector runs on Android OS using the Xperia UI – it has access to all of the content on Google Play Store so you can install your favorite apps and games in it. The battery life isn’t as good as you would expect from a $1,700 device – it lasts up to an hour on a full charge if used actively. Still, some may find it’s versatility and flexibility more useful and really worth this much money.
The device is finally available for purchase in some markets and it might make its way to Pakistan as well. The high price tag will definitely put off most people but it must be kept in mind that this is a one-of-a-kind device and as competition and demand increases, the price is bound to go down.
- Operating System: Android Nougat
- Supported Networks: Wi-Fi: 11 a/b/g/n/ac (SISO), Miracast sink, Bluetooth 4.2 and NFC
- Display: 23-80 inches HD (1366 x768) resolution Projector System – SXRD three primary colors, LCD shutter Projection System – 100 lumens brightness with 4000*1 contrast, source: Laser Diode, Touch Control using IR sensor, 10 point multi-touch
- Memory and storage: LPDDR3 3GB RAM, eMMC 32GB ROM – microSD slot available
- Main camera: 13 Megapixels, Auto-Focus
- Connectivity: USB Type-C, HDMI Type-D
- Sound: Two-way Stereo Speakers
- Weight: 932g
- Dimensions: 69 x 134 x 143 mm
- Battery: Approximately one-hour usage in continuous video playback mode
- Sensors: Mic, Accelerometer*2, e-Compass, GPS, Gyro, Ambient light, Barometer, Temperature, Humidity and Human Detection
- Power: USB Power Delivery 15V