According to the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, in the second month of fiscal year 2017-18 Large-scale manufacturing (LSM) saw year-on-year growth of 8.5 percent.
The LSM Growth Rate
LSM reported a year-on-year growth rate of 13% in July. The growth rate underwent an increase of 5.6% in the year 2016-17 and the target set by LSM for the year 2017-18 is 6.3%.
The growth rate was reported to be 11.3% in July-August, on a year over on year basis.
The contribution of LSM in manufacturing stands at 80%, while its contribution to GDP is 10.7%. Contributions by small-scale manufacturing, on the other hand, remain at 13.7% within manufacturing and 1.8% in GDP.
A production report received by the Ministry of Industries revealed that the 36 items mentioned in the report contributed to 5.44% growth in LSM. The production data provided by the provincial bureaus of statistics reported 65 items that led to a contribution of 1.3%.
The production data provided by the Oil Companies Advisory Committee (OCAC) represented 11 items contributing to 1.8% of LSM growth.
The Industrial Sector
Data from industries revealed the growth rate contributions made by the following product categories:
- Iron and steel products: 53%
- Automobiles: 19%
- Engineering products: 4.34%
- Wood products: 15.7%
- Coke and petroleum products: 28.8%
- Pharmaceuticals: 10.18%
- Leather products: 8.5%
- Fertilisers: 0.17%
- Non-metallic mineral products: 7.8%
- Food, beverages, and tobacco: 7.5%
- Chemicals: 3.13%
- Rubber products: 1.8%
- Paper and board: 53%
- Textiles: 0.56%
Mentioned below are the production rates of different products recorded in the month of August:
Items that recorded a negative growth rate:
- A decline of 4.5% was observed in electronics
- Production of LCVs underwent a drop of 10.04%
- Production of Buses underwent a drop of 13%
- Production of paints and varnishes underwent a drop of 1.09%
Items that recorded a positive growth rate:
- Chemical sector, driven by the production of caustic soda underwent an increase of 26.21%
- A growth rate of 49.8% was recorded in sugar
- Productions in the pharmaceutical sector increased by:
- Capsules: 18.46%
- Injections: 18.18%
- Liquids/syrups: 8.6%
- Tablets: 9.6%
- The automobile sector:
- Production of tractors increased by 31.2%
- Production of Motorcycles increased by 19.84%
- Production of jeeps and cars increased by 16.87%
- Other items that underwent a positive growth rate:
- Vegetable ghee: 3.08%
- Cooking oil: 7.02%
- Blended tea: 3.98%