Lenovo has just launched a new and really good looking mid-range smartphone, the S5 in China.
It has a “tall”18:9 display, a dual-cam set up, and seems like a worthy rival for Xiaomi’s Redmi 5 Plus. The S5 will come in three variants.
Design and Display
Lenovo S5 comes with large 5.7-inch IPS LCD display with a FHD+ (1080 x 2160 p) resolution. The mid-ranger follows the current trends and comes with a “bezel-less” 18:9 display with an approximately 74% screen-to-body ratio.
The minimalist design is fairly good looking and has a front-glass metal frame. On the rear, there’s a fingerprint sensor and a protruding dual-cam set up.
Hardware and Storage
The S5 is powered by Qualcomm’s mid-range octa-core Snapdragon 625, clocked at 2.0 GHz. The GPU is an Adreno 506 and RAM options are either 3 GB or 4 GB.
Unlike the RAM options, Lenovo S5 has three internal storage variants – 32 GB storage with 3 GB RAM, 64 GB with 4 GB RAM, and 128 GB with 4 GB RAM. The storage is expandable by up to 128 GB via microSD slot (SIM slot 2).
Camera and Software
The main highlight of the S5 is the 13 MP + 13 MP (RGB and monochrome) primary dual-cam set up which is pretty rare in mid-rangers these days. The rear cameras use phase detection autofocus and can shoot 4K videos at 30 FPS. Front-facing sensor is an impressive 16 MP unit which can record up to 1080p videos.
Lenovo S5 comes with Google’s latest Android 8.0 Oreo and has a proprietary layer of Lenovo’s own ZUI 3.7 on top.
Battery, Price, and Availability
The battery is a decent 3,000 mAh capacity unit which is non-removable. Fast-charging is available via Type-C 1.0.
For the base variant (3/32 GB), the price tag is $157 (~Rs. 16,500), $189 (~Rs. 19,500) for the 4/64 GB variant, and the 4/128 GB option comes for $236 (~Rs. 24,500). Color options are Midnight Black and Flame Red.
Lenovo S5 Specifications
- CPU: 2.0 GHz Octa-core Cortex-A53
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo, with ZUI 3.7
- Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE
- Display: 5.7-inch, 18:9 aspect ratio, Full HD+ (1080x2160p) resolution
- RAM: 3 GB or 4 GB
- Internal: 32 GB, 64 GB, or 128 GB
- Card slot: yes, by 128 GB (SIM slot 2)
- Primary: 13 MP + 13 MP (RGB + monochrome), PDAF, LED flash
- Secondary: 16 MP
- Connectivity: microUSB Type-C 1.0, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS, headphone jack
- Fingerprint scanner (rear-mounted)
- Battery: 3,000 mAh
- Price: ~Rs. 16,500 (3 GB/32 GB), ~Rs. 19,500 (4 GB/64 GB), and ~Rs. 24,500 (4 GB/128 GB)