Today, we are going to show you how to make your very own sweet and savory caramel tart. With a cross of a shortcrust and tart dough, the crust on this caramel tart holds just the right balance of flavors to make your taste buds tingle.
Picture a delicious, light and creamy caramel filling that pairs beautifully with the crust, all that topped with some grain salt.
Did that just make you salivate? Well in that case, let’s get right to this super simple and easy to make recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt.
- Combine the flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, salt, and cold butter together in a food processor and pulse until combined and resembles sand.
- Add the egg and pulse to combine. The mixture should resemble playdough.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 mins – 1 hour.
- Press dough into buttered ramekins. Prick the dough with a fork by pressing holes into the base of the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 mins depending on the size of the ramekin or until slightly browned.
- To make the caramel, combine the water and sugar in a pot over medium heat. Cook while maintaining a temperature of around 225 degrees until slightly browned.
- Whisk in the heavy cream slowly. Continue to cook while maintaining a temperature of 225 for ~5 mins or until the desired color is visible.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly before adding and whisking in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into a tart and sprinkle with sea salt or table salt.
And we’re done! Let us know in the comments below how the caramel tart recipe worked out for you.