Wikipedia has recently kicked off its yearly photo contest to collect images of natural landscapes of selected countries, including Pakistan.
Participants can submit their best pictures of Pakistan’s northern landscape and compete with other worldwide entrants. Submissions will end on May 31st, so you should hurry up if you wish to participate.
Pakistan is home to several beautiful natural sights that have even drawn foreigners towards them. Hence, there could be no better opportunity for anyone with a camera to capture these sites through their lens and show the world what we have got.
The main purpose of this campaign is to collect free-license photographs for Wikipedia’s media library, called Wikimedia, and these photos will be used for educational purposes.
The $3,000 Scholarship to Sweden
Out of all participants, a team of photography experts will judge the submissions, based on their quality and usefulness for the encyclopedia, and a Pakistani jury will pick 10 best photos which will partake in the international competition.
The goal of Wikipedia is to make knowledge available to the world for free, and since natural heritage is part of knowledge, Wikipedia want to gather and release to the world free, usable photographs of natural heritage.
Another international jury will pick the best photo for this season and the winner will get a free $3,000 travel scholarship to Sweden to be a part of Wikipedia’s 2019 conference.
Other handpicked photos will be used in the online encyclopedia’s articles and will allow exposure for the photographer.
- The theme of the photo competition is “Northern Pakistan”.
- All photographs must be taken by the person submitting them. No copyright photos will be allowed. Photos uploaded by anyone else than the author (even with permission) are not accepted. Contestants, as well as entries that constitute copyright infringement and fraud, will be disqualified.
- Photographs with watermarks, copyright symbols, signatures, and timestamp are not allowed and could disqualify a potential winning entry.
- Upload the photographs during the campaign period (May 1 – May 31, 2018).
- Images can be any resolution, however, the images must be at least 2 Megapixels (1600×1200) to be considered for judging.
- Participation in the competition is free of charge and there is no limit to the number of images that can be entered. We would advise, however, that you be selective and only upload your best shots!
Click this link for more details.