Just like Xiaomi’s Mix-series, Vivo’s NEX series is reserved for new ideas and experimentation for flagship phones.
Today the company launched Vivo NEX Dual Display edition, with a nearly bezelless display on one side and a second 16:9 display on the back.
It seems like an interesting phone with no front cameras and a special 3D ToF sensor on the back.
Design and Display
The front features a large 6.39″ Super AMOLED display at Full HD+ (1080 x 2340) resolution. It has a 91.63% screen to body ratio, among the highest in the industry.
There’s also an in-display fingerprint reader on board, making the display the focal point of everything.
On the back is a smaller 5.49″ Super AMOLED display, which has a standard 16:9 aspect ratio and Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. There is no in-display fingerprint reader here, but it does have a 3D ToF (time of flight) sensor used for face unlock. This is the same sensor used by Apple and other manufacturers for their 3D face unlock feature.
Internals and Storage
On the inside, the new NEX has a Snapdragon 845 chipset, with 10 GB (!) RAM and 128 GB of internal storage, there is no microSD card slot.
It comes with Android 9.0 Pie onboard, with Vivo’s proprietary Funtouch OS 4.5 skin on top.
There are no front cameras on the new Vivo NEX, you’ll have to use the back cameras for everything. It won’t present any problems though, thanks to the second screen on the back.
There’s a 12 MP f/1.7 sensor coupled with a 2 MP f/1.8 lens, probably used for depth sensing. Vivo has outfitted the phone with a number of features for the camera, including AI scene recognition, body and face shaping etc.
Battery and Price
All that is powered by a 3,500 mAh battery, with 22.5W fast charging. Vivo NEX Dual Display Edition is currently up for pre-orders in China for CNY 4,998 (~Rs. 100,000) and will be released on 29th December.
Vivo NEX Dual Display Edition Specifications
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie, with Funtouch OS 4.5
- Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE
- Dual displays
- 3D Face Unlock
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 6.39-inch, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, FHD+ (1080x 2340px) resolution ~91.63% screen-to-body ratio
- 5.49-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio, Full HD (1920 x 1080)
- RAM: 10 GB
- Internal: 128 GB
- Card slot: no
- Primary: Dual: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS, dual pixel PDAF) + 2 MP (f/1.8), dual-LED dual-tone flash
- 3D Time of Flight camera
- Connectivity: USB Type-C, Bluetooth 5, Wi-Fi, GPS
- Battery: 3,500 mAh, 22.5 W fast charging
- Price: CNY 4,998 (~Rs. 100,000)