The government has approved Rs. 422 million to complete the ongoing renovation and reconstruction work in 200 schools in Islamabad. Last year in November, the contractors had halted the work amid unavailability of funds, causing problems for the students.
According to the sources, the renovation work is complete in 90 schools but the Federal Directorate of Education (FDE) officials have not yet taken over because the project is being investigated by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) due to alleged substandard work.
The renovation work started under the Prime Minister’s Reforms Program introduced by the previous government in 2016.
FDE Director General Syed Umari Javed said that FDE did not have any direct role with the project. A team formed by the now-defunct Capital Administration and Development Division (CADD) was working on it.
After the CADD was abolished, the FDE and PM’s reforms program was given to the Education Ministry. “The work is incomplete, whenever it will be completed as per SOP, we will take over the schools,” said DG FDE.
According to some other FDE officials, the project has been incomplete since October 2018 and has been creating difficulties for students and teachers. They said that the project should be completed on a priority basis.
“Now we have restarted work in eight schools and after Ramazan, the work will get momentum,” said an official while adding that renovation of 200 schools will be complete by July 15.
He said that the last installment of funds worth Rs.254 million will also get released in a few months.