Omni, a United Bank Limited’s Branchless Banking Services, has been shortlisted for GSMA Global Mobile Awards 2012 to be held in Barcelona from February 28, 2012.
UBL Omni has been shortlisted in following two categories:
- Best Product, Initiative or Service for Underserved Segments
- Best Use of Mobile in Emergency or Humanitarian Situations
The bank claimed to have offered transparent and efficient Cash Disbursement Service to government of Pakistan, UNDP (United Nations Development Fund) and WFP (World Food Program), after the 2009 Internal Displacement Persons (IDPs) Crisis and 2010’s destructed Flood Crisis.
Omni has established itself as second largest branchless banking services and network after Telenor’s Easypaisa.
Launched in April 2010, UBL Omni has established more than 5,000 agents, countrywide and disbursed payments to around 2 million recipients.
Omni has marked an edge over Easypaisa as it is first established G2P Payments Services in Pakistan. It is one of the largest Branchless Banking cash disbursement initiatives to date and has proved to be a quick and transparent mechanism for the way cash disbursements are made by the Government of Pakistan and non-profit organizations.
UBL Omni’s efforts have been recognized at a global level with nominations for the 17th GSMA Global Mobile Awards 2012, which is considered an Oscar of telecom world.
Omni is contesting with different companies on category 4a including
- Grameenphone Ltd. and University of Oslo for "Reaching the Unreachable through ICT"
- Milvik for Bima mobile life insurance
- Safaricom for Grundfos
- ToughStuff for Solar Solutions for Off-Grid Charging
- Webaroo Technologies for GupShup
- Besides it is contesting with different companies on category
- Flowminder.org for Rapid Population Movement Analysis using Cellphone Data for Improving Efficiency of Humanitarian Relief
- MoreMagic and Voilà for T-Cash following the Haitian earthquake
- NTT DOCOMO for Recovery from Great East Japan Earthquake and New Disaster Preparedness Measures
- Smart Communications, Inc. (Smart) for the Strengthening Disaster Preparedness of Southern Leyte through SMS technology
There are eight categories and 23 sub-categories, for which 600 entries were submitted. 158 organizations were shortlisted out of 600 entries from across the world and from across the mobile eco-system, making it a significant achievement for UBL Omni to be part of it.
Telenor Pakistan earlier in 2011 entered the race of the Global Mobile Awards 2011 with its product Easypaisa. It was shortlisted in two different categories but failed to secure any award despite marvelous recognized performance and reputation in the global media.