Lahore High Court yesterday suspended the advertisement published by Cabinet Division – dated June 14th, 2013 – for appointment of members of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.
Mr. Justice Mansoor Ali Shah of the Lahore High Court, while hearing a petition challenging the advertisement that was published for the appointment of PTA members, suspended the said advertisement and directed the Government to make appointments strictly in accordance with the qualifications and experience laid down in Schedule 1 of the PTA appointment Rules.
Despite notice nobody appeared on behalf of the Government to defend the petition.
The Court further directed that the appointments should not be finalized since their fate shall be dependant on the outcome of of the petitions filed on behalf of Mr. Amjad Farooq Alvi.
It is worth mentioning that role of MoIT as envisaged in the PTA Act as well as PTA rules are also under challenge before the Court.
Hearing of the petitions was adjourned till 02-10-2013.
It maybe recalled that Government of Pakistan is long trying to fill the position of Chairman of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority and its members.
For the reference, here’s the timeline for the happenings regarding the appointment of PTA members:
- January 15th, 2013: LHC removed Farooq Awan from PTA Chairmanship
- January 30th, 2013: Vacancy Announced for Member Technical and Finance at PTA
- February 14th, 2013: Government Advertises for the Jobs of Three PTA Members for the 2nd Time
- February 22nd, 2013: Member Finance, PTA, Completed His Service Term
- March 1st, 2013: Wahaj-us-Siraj (CEO Nayatel) Challenged the 2nd Advertisement, IHC Tied Appointment of Members PTA to Final Judgment
- March 4th, 2013: Farooq Awan Appointed as Member Finance of PTA Despite LHC Orders
- March 7th, 2013: LHC Restrained Farooq Awan From Duty as Member Finance
- March 18th, 2013: Farooq Awan Removed as Member Finance of PTA
- April 1st, 2013: IHC Directed Cabinet Division to Appoint PTA Members Based on First Advertisement Only
- June 14th, 2013: Cabinet Division Advertised the Jobs for PTA Members for 3rd time
- July 4th, 2013: 3rd advertisement for Appointment of PTA Members Challenged in LHC
- July 17th, 2013: 3rd Advertisement gets Suspended by LHC
It is apparent that Pakistan Telecommunication Authority is chairman-less for last six months and members’ less for last four months. Clearly, government (previous and current) has failed to make appointments, apparently due to incompetence and to induct favourites.