The Sri Lankan cricket team landed at the Islamabad International Airport earlier today for the historic Test series. The first match of the series is scheduled in Rawalpindi from 11-15 December. The local authorities have confirmed that there will be strict security checks in place and traffic diversion plans.
Due to the lack of timely communication of alternate transport routes by the concerned authorities, citizens have had to face some trouble earlier today as well.
After backlash, the Deputy Commissioner Islamabad, Hamza Shafqaat, has shared the traffic plan for the Pakistan-Sri Lanka match.
Sri Lankan Cricket Team has arrived in Islamabad. We are providing them with highest level of security. Traffic will be temporary closed during their movement from the stadium to their hotel. Traffic plan is as follows. Apologies for inconvenience pic.twitter.com/R3kOCYoVKU
— Deputy Commissioner Islamabad (@dcislamabad) December 9, 2019
The traffic plan, devised by Islamabad Traffic Police and City Traffic Police Rawalpindi, will be in place from 10th December to 15th December between 6 am to 6 pm.
- Murree Road will be totally blocked from Faizabad to 6th Road
- Stadium Road from IJP Road to Murree Road will also be blocked for traffic
- Ghousia Chowk turn towards Murree Road will be closed
- Traffic from Haroon Chowk and Dhoke Kala Khan Chowk towards Ghousia Chowk will have to take alternate routes
- Turns towards Murree Road on Islamabad Expressway – for traffic coming from Zero Point and Koral – will be blocked
Rawalpindi to Islamabad
Those looking to enter Islamabad from Rawalpindi will have to keep the following alternate routes in mind:
- A U-turn in front of Kidney Center on Murree Road will be used to divert traffic on the other side towards Islamabad.
- Traffic from Sadiqabad will use Farooq-e-Azam Road/Kurri Road to merge onto the Islamabad Expressway.
Islamabad to Rawalpindi
For those coming to Rawalpindi from Islamabad, the following blockages and alternate routes will be in place:
- Traffic coming from Rawal Chowk will be diverted to Islamabad Expressway and they can enter Rawalpindi from the following points:
- Dhoke Kala Khan
- Khanna Pul
- Koral Chowk
- Traffic from IJP-9th Avenue Chowk will use Pindora Chungi, Katarian Market, Pirwadhai Mor, Carriage Factory and Pirwadhai to enter Rawalpindi
The authorities have also urged the citizens to cooperate with the traffic police of twin cities for uninterrupted traffic flow.